Friday, October 11, 2013

To Cook - Bachelor's Jam


I have something 'brewing' in my kitchen cupboards...

When I came across this recipe on Nothing But Delicious, and read about Bachelor's Jam I knew it was something that I should give a try!
Love figs, plums, blueberries and all that stone fruit!
Still had some alcohol left over from those summer nights,
So why not put all of that to good use!

So know I have my Weck Jars stored away, filled with fruit alcohol and herbs, brewing away!

And in december!
Surprise!!

I'll keep you posted!!
Still have no idea what I will use it for, so any tips!!
Just love making 'magic potions' and already very curious to the outcome!

Give it a try!
To easy not to!








Bachelor's Jam

Ingredients:
glass jars with tightly fitting lids
ripe, firm fruit such as cherries, apricots, plums, peaches, nectarines, figs or pears
herbs such as rosemary or thyme, citrus peel or spices such as whole vanilla bean, cinnamon stick or star anise (optional)
raw cane sugar
high proof liquor

Instructions:
1. Sanitize jars, lids, knife and cutting board with boiling water.
2. Rinse fruit under cold water and dry with a clean kitchen towel.
3. Chop fruit to your liking- anything 1/2" or larger. You can leave pits in, or take them out.
4. For every layer of fruit you add to the jar, cover with a spoonful of sugar. The "proper" ratio is 2/3 alcohol to 1/3 cup sugar, but you can adjust the amount of sugar you use based on your own taste and the sweetness of the fruit.
5. When the jar is full, pour in high proof liquor and make sure everything is fully submerged before closing. Store in a cool, dark place for about three months before using.


Source and pics






No comments: